- Learning Lunches: How to Make a Map - focused on teaching fundamentals in order to get to the point of creating and understanding dynamic web maps.
- Geospatial Analysis, 4th Edition by de Smith, Goodchild, Longley
- NCGIA Core Curriculum
- Map Projections by Carlos A. Furuti, in-depth thinking about projections.
- More details about spatial interpolation
- Caught Mapping: an educational film from 1940 about hand-produced road maps.
- QGIS: Gentle GIS Introduction - a guide to doing GIS with QGIS, a popular open source application.
- Reference Systems: What They Are: great expanation of the finer details of SRS, CRS, datums and projections with reference to PostGIS.
- Slocum’s Thematic Cartography & Geovisualization
- GIS and Cartographic Modeling, Tomlin
- GIS, Longley
- Map Use Reading Analysis Intepretation
- GIS Fundamentals, 4th Edition